Saturday, July 5, 2014

Personal Excellence's July 15-Day Affirmation Challenge: A True Test of My Personal Positivity

If you're a person living with bipolar disorder/PTSD/anxiety/annoying people/stupid situations and all the pleasant side effects these conditions can cause, you may know that it's hard to stay positive from day to day. I am constantly called upon to "be happy" for the benefit of family and friends at the expense of being too emotionally empty at the end of the day to take care of my own needs. As a result, my life after almost 26 years is unfulfilled in pretty much every sense.

This year, I've made it a goal to be more active in my emotional health, especially as the circumstances around me that I cannot change grow more frustrating by the HOUR (having a broken ankle does not make this any better). I've come across many fantastic resources in my journey, and one of my favorites, Personal Excellence by Celestine Chua, is starting a 15 day Affirmation Challenge on July 7th. From PE:
"Problems can only be tackled through conscious self-reflection and direct action, not by saying affirmations only. However, where affirmations help is that they help us to re-imagine the future (especially if we are fixed on a particular way of thinking), reinforce positive beliefs, and remind us of who we can be. Affirmations have their merit, and they can be even more powerful when followed up with the right questions and planning."
I've never been one for affirmations...or challenges...or being positive...or reflection. Actually, all of this sounds kind of terrifying. But what's even more terrifying is the thought of being in this same situation 5 or 10 years from now: unhappy and afraid to pursue dreams and goals and living life in and out of psych hospitals despite medications and therapy and all the things that are "supposed" to make me happy. SO! I'm willing to try something scary and new. And I'm trying to keep the pessimistic attitude to a minimum. Baby steps.

Join the challenge soon! It starts on Monday July 7th, 2014! AND IT'S FREE!!!

See you in 2 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment